Black and brown damask

Sunday 8 April 2012

Sound Lecture - An Interview with ABC's Greatest Radio Personalities

When: Weeks 5
What: Lecture 5
Who: Carmel Rooney, Richard Fidler and Steve Austin

The fifth lecture was a recorded sound lecture about radio journalism. During the recording, my tutor, Carmel Rooney, interviewed two radio personalities, Richard Fidler and Steve Austin, from ABC radio station.

Both interviews were extremely educational and enlightening. What intrigued me most was how Richard Fidler 'accidentally' became a radio presenter and how he doesn't describe himself as a journalist. Whether he believes it or not, I believe that Richard Fidler is a journalist. In my opinion, Richard Fidler's experience in the journalism industry is just as important as a journalism degree at University.

When Steve Austin explained how he became a radio presenter and journalist, I found that his story was very relatable. In 2010, I began to contemplate what I was going to do with my life. After a very traumatic and stressful event, I began to consider my career options. I needed to make something of myself, I needed to follow my dreams and with this in mind, I enrolled  in a Journalism course at UQ.

Carmel Rooney's interview questions were brilliant and covered a large range of topics. Using their experience in the broadcast industry, Richard Fidler and Steve Austin, answered the interview questions informatively and honestly.

Although the radio is one of the oldest media platforms, it is an exceedingly popular way the public consumes media in contemporary times. Richard Fidler and Steve Austin made this notion evident in their interviews.

During the interview, Richard Fidler stated that the radio is a platform that can be consumed while a person completes everyday activities. Unlike most media platforms, the radio can be consumed while you drive to work, while you take a shower and even while you walk your dog. Similarly, Steve Austin claims that the radio's popularity and longevity, is caused by the public being "time poor" and because the public is "time poor", the radio is a way for a person to consume media quickly and promptly. As a university student, I believe that I am very "time poor". With the amount of time I spend studying and working, it can be difficult to view and consume media. At times, the radio is the only media platform that I can rely on for news.

I have always aspired to be a print journalist, someone who writes columns for newspapers or articles for magazines. This week, for the first time in my life, I considered the prospects of becoming a broadcast journalist. 

During their interviews, Richard Fidler and Steve Austin, stated what skills and attributes, a good broadcast journalist must learn. Here, are a few key points which have resounded with me:
  • It's not about you, it's about the consumer. 
  • Always consider what the audience wants and needs.
  • Life experiences are good radio stories.

And...


Throughout the sound lecture, Richard Fidler and Steve Austin discussed the interview process and their interviewing techniques. Both, Richard Fidler and Steve Austin, mentioned that the interviewee has to be relaxed and surrounded by a safe and trustworthy environment. One technique that Richard Fidler uses to relax his interviewee is the "teasing" technique. The teasing technique is where you make the interviewee embarrassed, this as Richard Fidler stated, will cause the interviewee to "smile and laugh". This interviewing technique is a technique that I hope to use in the future. Richard Fidler's technique is intriguing, and it would be interesting to see how well it works during an interview. 

During the interview with Carmel Rooney, Richard Fidler and Steve Austin mentioned a lot of their interviewing techniques. Here, are a few techniques that I will use in future interviews:
  • The interviewee should be given the time and space to discuss their story.
  • By listening to the interviewee, you are showing them respect.
  • Don't abuse the interviewee's trust, by asking them questions they have requested that you don't ask.

One of the key statements that Richard Fidler made during the interview was:


I was quite surprised by this statement, because I know from experience that silence can be strange and awkward at times. Even though, I am unsure about this interviewing technique, I will use it. 

Richard Fidler and Steve Austin are extremely experienced in the broadcast journalism industry, and if anyone knows how to conduct an interview, it's them. The sound lecture was phenomenal, and I am very grateful to have been given the chance to listen to it. I believe that Richard Fidler and Steve Austin's advice will make me a better journalist. I am forever in their debt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment