Black and brown damask

Thursday 29 March 2012

Telling Factual Stories - An Introduction

When: Week 1
What: Lecture 1
Who: Dr. Bruce Redman

My first week and lecture at UQ was nerve-wracking. Along with a vast majority of my peers, I patiently waited in the dim halls leading to my lecture hall. As I took my seat I looked around shakily, I know no-one, everyone is a stranger. 


I guess what made me so nervous and fearful was something I was told during my second day in Orientation Week.


"You're a number with a file" - Associate Dean

This statement by the Associate Dean was understandable but very unsettling. As my lecture began and I was introduced to my lecturer, Dr. Bruce Redman, my fears were no longer present. 


The first lecture was basically an introduction to the course, where I met my lecturer and my tutors.

Dr. Bruce Redman is a very enthusiastic, lively man. His bright shirts match his bright personality, Fantastique!

Similarly, my three tutors are very enthusiastic and talented women. Ms. Carmel Rooney teaches at my tutorials and is very intelligent and impressive. I am yet to meet the other tutors, Miss Marie M'Balla-Ndi and Miss Ali Rae, but I am sure they are just as wonderful.


One of the key statement that was made during the lecture was:


Really, I am the Journalist? As much as I'd love this to be true, I don't believe I am quite there yet. I believe a journalist is someone who writes for a living, a factual storyteller, a public informant. I will become a journalist eventually, but until that moment comes, I will classify myself as an aspiring journalist or a journalist-in-training, if you will. 

Here, is a humorous quote that was presented in the lecture powerpoint:

Generally speaking, the best people nowadays go into journalism, the second best into business, the rubbish into politics and the shits into law - Auberon Waugh, British Journalist/Author

Personally, I think it lacks relevance, but I thought the quote was quite funny. I know a few people who are studying law, and they have their own jokes about journalism, and other career paths.

Dr. Bruce Redman presented my peers and myself, with a course profile. He then went on to expand on the course details, objectives, learning activities and assignments. 


This statement was made by Dr. Bruce Redman, during the lecture and has resounded with me since. I believe that this statement refers to news values. News that contains conflict, death, drugs and the like, are lead news stories and are more important and entertaining in comparison to a story that contains baby animals, food and children playing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment