Black and brown damask

Sunday 18 March 2012

My Interview with Carina MacKenzie


Meet the wonderful and talented, Carina Adly MacKenzie. Not only does Carina work as a journalist and staff editor at Zap2It, she has one of the most incredible jobs in the world. Carina gets to write recaps, visit the sets and interview the actors from her favourite television shows. I am honoured to have been given the chance to interview her. She is an inspiration to all aspiring entertainment journalists, especially me.

Make sure you follow Carina on twitter (@cadlymack) and check out her posts on Zap2It for the latest scoops on your favourite television shows!

So far this season, what is your favourite television show?

My favourite new show of the season is "Awake." It's the most original drama I've seen on TV, and I like that the procedural element and the ongoing arc are balanced equally.


If you could bring back ANY television show, what would it be?

Veronica Mars. There have been other canceled shows that I've loved, but that's the only one that I still think about, wondering what would've happened next.

What do you think of 'Vampire Diaries' and 'Supernatural' so far this season?


That's sort of a vague question! I think Vampire Diaries has had some of its best episodes ever this season, but also some of its worst. I enjoy the episodes that focus on mythology, as opposed to romance, the most. This is my favorite season of "Supernatural" in several years; I like that the bond between the characters has been re-established and I actually like the way the writers have been working outside their comfort zone.

Who is your favorite television character?


Pacey Witter from "Dawson's Creek."

How did you get into writing about television shows and celebrities?


A friend of mine wrote for the Los Angeles Times and recommended me for a TV-recapping position back in 2009. I recapped Vampire Diaries, House, Grey's Anatomy, and The Bachelor that season. My recaps did pretty well, so a few weeks in I expanded to writing interview features. The rest spiraled out from there.

If you could interview anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and what would you ask them?


I'd really love to sit down for an in-depth conversation with Michael J. Fox. I'd ask him about so many things -- from his career to his experiences with Parkinson's Disease, which has had a significant impact on my family as well.

So you have visited many television sets, what has been your favorite set to visit?


My favorite set to visit was "One Tree Hill." I've been watching the show since I was 16, so it was really cool to check it out in its final season. (I also love visiting the "Vampire Diaries" set and seeing friends, but it's also kind of a stressful set to visit because they're worried about keeping things under wraps, so we do a lot of waiting and not a lot of watching filming.)

You have met and interviewed many celebrities, which celebrity did you enjoy interviewing most and who was your least favourite?


I can't answer that one! I've had a lot of great experiences and one or two bad experiences. People have their ups and downs.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer/journalist?


Write, write, write! To be honest, I didn't aspire to be a journalist (and I don't really consider what I do to be "real" journalism) so I can't give much by way of advice, but I will say that the internet is a fantastic tool. You can write what you want and build an audience while you're still in school.



No comments:

Post a Comment