Black and brown damask

Sunday 10 June 2012

Supanova Pop Culture Expo

Masses of superheroes, masked vigilantes, cosplay characters and an array of Stormtroopers, Jedi Knights and Darth Vaders queued at the gates of the Gold Coast Entertainment Centre this weekend. On a normal weekend, a Jedi Knight and Darth Vader would use their lightsabers and the power of the force to destroy one another, but this weekend they united as they ventured into the galactic fantasy world of Supanova. 
I, myself know that I am a massive geek, so when it was announced that Supanova was being held on the Gold Coast for the first time, I jumped at the notion of sharing this weekend with others like me, celebrating our geekyness together. The one thing that intrigued me the most was the amount of hand made costumes and weapons that were being worn by the attendees at Supernova. The costumes screamed creativity, originality and were a delight to see, in comparison to costumes that were purchased. 
Supanova features multiple stores that contained everything from Sci-Fi to fantasy, and television to film. The stores were selling comic books, action figures, games, and anything that involved "Star Trek, "Dr. Who" and "Star Wars" just to name a few. 
There were also multiple celebrity guests that were there to meet their fans and answer questions at a Q and A seminar. Fans were also able to purchase personalised autographs, and professional photographs, with these guests and at times, it would take hours to get through one queue because the crowds and queues surrounding the guests were massive. 
The first guest I had received an autograph from and professional photo with was with "Twilight" and "Nurse Jackie" actor, Peter Facinelli. Overall, Peter Facinelli was a very nice, humorous guy, and I was lucky enough to share a joke and a few laughs with him. 
The second and most anticipated guests I had the pleasure of meeting were James and Oliver Phelps (Fred and George Weasley) from the "Harry Potter" films. After queueing for approximately two hours, I was able to get them to sign my "Harry Potter" book and was able to pose in a photograph cuddled between them.
While I was there, I was able to attend the Phelps twins Q and A seminar. I was excited about attending the seminar and hearing their stories, as I am a massive fan of the "Harry Potter" series and I have grown up watching all of the films and have read all of the books. 

It surprised me to hear that both James and Oliver Phelps believe that they are nothing like their characters, because while they were answering fan questions they were making sarcastic quips and jokes just like their characters would in the films. Similarly, when a fan asked them if they finished each others sentences like their characters they both answered no, but ironically throughout the seminar they would finish each others sentences and would say the same thing at the same time. 

Each year the crowds at Supanova keep growing larger, the celebrity guests keep getting better, and the costumes are becoming more creative. The costumes worn by the people at Supanova on the Gold Coast have inspired me to dress up at the Brisbane Supanova event later this year. Whether you are or aren't a "Star Trek", "Dr. Who" or "Star Wars" fan you should experience Supanova at some point in your life. It was an experience that I will never forget and will continue to take part in for the rest of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment